BPA Open Community

View Only
  • 1.  Metrics For American Sprawl

Posted 05-11-2022 07:09
    Having driven across the United States five times since October, 2020, I'm absolutely appalled by the degree of sprawl that defines the American landscape. Auto-dependent suburbs, monocultural cheap houses, vinyl clad duplexes, big box stores, chain restaurants, etc. Has anyone done any kind of measurement of sprawl? Carbon footprint analyses? Environmental impact? Resource depletion?

It's all fine and good that places like Denver, CO have some LEED certified buildings, but what about the the 99% of all new construction that's anything but green? 

Developing some kind of basic "sprawl environmental impact tool" would be most helpful.

------------------------------
    Dan Antonioli
    Owner
    Going Green
    ITHACA NY
    510-499-2342

• 2.  RE: Metrics For American Sprawl

BPA Staff Member
    Posted 05-11-2022 11:12
    Interesting topic, Dan. The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development - OECD - put out this report on urban sprawl: Rethinking Urban Sprawl: Moving Towards Sustainable Cities.

It's important to address this as more and more people move to cities. Their report says by 2050, 70% will live in cities.

Diane Chojnowski
    BPA Connections Community Manager
    Building Performance Association

• 3.  RE: Metrics For American Sprawl

Posted 05-11-2022 17:33
    Excellent article. I'm going to print a hard copy and read through it carefully. 

At this juncture of my green building career, and my trips across the country, I've concluded that unless we get rampant growth, sprawl, and monoculture under control our work in sustainability isn't going to do much.

Dan Antonioli
    Owner
    Going Green
    ITHACA NY
    510-499-2342